3 ½ cups desiccated and sweetened coconut (to sweeten the coconut just mix powdered sugar in it, as per taste)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4th tsp salt
4 egg whites beaten till they are stiff
This recipe makes about a dozen macaroons
- Beat the eggs whites with the salt and vanilla essence till they become foamy and develop peaks. (Once done, invert the bowl. If the froth does not fall, it means the whites are beaten to perfection). Note – make sure there is no yolk at all. Even the teeniest amount can alter the texture of the beaten eggs and make them runny.
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Into the beaten egg white mixture, gently fold in the coconut and sugar mix till they are well amalgamated. Do not over mix/mix vigorously; else the macaroons will turn our dense. It is vital that this be done with a gentle hand.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out even portions of the mixture into a baking tray. Alternatively you can also use your hands to form small balls. Tip – moisten your hands before scooping out the mixture so that it does not stick.
- Bake the macaroons in the oven at 180 deg C for approx 30 minutes or till the tops are golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving. The Macaroons turn out crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.