I abhor summers…absolutely loathe them.
I am the kind who can seek that elusive ray of sunshine even amid overcast skies. So, summers with their heat are not really my season. But, the saving grace is the multitude of fruit that rolls into Mumbai from the hills. We get peaches, plums, apricots, cherries and what not! And, I absolutely love peaches. I mean, what is there not to love? They are sweet, juicy and satiate the taste buds like none other.
I love peach based puddings and cakes. But, my favourite, no fuss recipe is the peach crumble. It’s a quick dessert to whip up and tastes heavenly with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream. This is how I make it
Ingredients for the peach base
- 6 large sized ripe peaches cut into wedges. Please taste them to make sure that they are sweet and not too tart.
- 1/4th cup granulated, white sugar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon powder (I find Sri Lankan cinnamon really good for this)
- ½ tsp ground ginger powder
- A pinch or two of salt (just to balance out the sweetness).
Ingredients for the crumble topping
- 1 ½ cups of all purpose flour/maida
- 1 cup of brown sugar (packed). If your peaches are too sweet then use slightly more than ¾ cup.
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder (just to add some spice to the topping also)
- ½ cup melted butter
Ingredients needed for serving
- A few scoops vanilla ice cream
Preheat your oven to 190 deg C
Preparing the peaches – In a mixing bowl add the peaches, salt, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and ginger powder. Mix it well, cover and keep aside for about 10 minutes. The peaches will release their juices.
Preparing the crumb topping – In another bowl whisk together the all purpose flour, brown sugar, cinnamon powder and salt. To this add the melted (at room temperature and not hot) butter, little by little, all the while whisking it or mixing the mixture with your hands. The idea is to get a crumbly, coarse mixture.
Lay your peach mixture with the juices at the bottom of the baking pan. Sprinkle the coarse topping mixture evenly on top of that.
Bake at a 190 deg C for about 50 minutes or until the top is golden and you can see some of the peach juices escape and bubble up. In a microwave oven the baking could take up to 1 ½ hours.
Serve hot with vanilla Ice cream.