We Indians are rather partial to Mangoes, are we not? For us that is the king of fruits and why not. We have so many varieties that are grown and exported too. However, among all these there is a variety that beats even other mangoes and by a long shot. That is the Alphonso. Its smooth texture makes for a delicious bite filled with juicy goodness.
When Alphonso or Hapus as we call it in Maharashtra is in season, we make a variety of dishes with it. But, nothing beats the sweet mango lassi. This is my recipe
- 2 cups thick curd (not sour)
- 1/2 cup chilled water/ 4-5 large ice cubes
- 3 mangoes (peeled and the pulp taken out)
- 8 tsp sugar (granulated is fine)
- A few drops of vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 tbsp of thick cream (optional)
- in a mixer blitz together the mango, curd, water and sugar and cream. Blitz till you achieve a smooth consistency and the sugar has dissolved.
- stir in the vanilla essence
- serve chilled