Recipe Credit – Rishika Thakur
When it comes to crispy fried snacks, for me nothing makes the cut except fried onion rings. The golden rings of onion gently spiced and crisped to perfection.
Now there are a lot of recipes online on how to do this. Many use a variety of ingredients and in fact as per your palate you can choose to add ingredients.
Once I even tried out a recipe in which the rings were deep-fried in tempura batter (I made a mixture of all purpose flour, aerated soda water. Dipped the rings into them, coated with bread crumbs and fried them. It turned out delicious. The more adventurous can also substitute the soda water with beer).
However, this recipe that my daughter uses is what I prefer. It makes super crunchy onion rings and they turn out perfect – every single time.
CLASSIC CRISPY ONION RINGS
2 large onions (must be 2-3 inches in diameter)
3 tbsp all purpose flour (maida) + 1tsp
2 large eggs (at room temperature)
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups bread crumbs (dried)
Salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp chilli flakes/paprika powder
1 tsp dried parsley (optional)
Refined Oil for deep frying the rings
- To make the bread crumbs – crush 4 slices of bread and put in a blender jar. Add 1 tsp refined oil and blend till it achieves a crumble consistency. Spread them over a microwave proof dish and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remove the dish, mix up the crumbs and repeat the process. The crumbs will turn golden and crisp. If needed you can increase the time.
- To make the egg wash for the rings – whisk both the eggs gently and add the salt, pepper, chilli flakes/paprika, 1 tsp all purpose flour, baking powder and milk to them. combine all ingredients well
- Mix a little salt and pepper into the bread crumbs. Add the dried parsley and spread out the crumbs on a plate.
- Slice your onions diameter wise into ¼ of an inch rings.
- In a bowl or a zip lock bag add the 3 tbsp all purpose flour. Season with some salt and pepper. Throw in the onion rings and shake them well till all are coated with the flour. You can also choose to do this by coating each ring individually. The bowl or zip lock bag just saves time.
- Heat the refined oil for frying in a pan or wok. Add enough to enable you to deep fry it. We need the oil to be hot but not smoking hot. To check the readiness drop the smallest piece of the onion ring into the hot oil. If it swims to the top immediately, then the oil is done. If not, then give it a couple more minutes.
- Once the rings are coated with the flour, one by one dip them in the egg mixture. Shake off the excess mix by shaking the coated ring gently and then coating them with the bread crumbs. You can also choose to shake off the excess mixture by placing your rings on a wire rack and letting them drip off their excess mixture. Any which way you choose to do this, idea is to drain off excess egg mixture before you coat them in the bread crumbs.
- Fry the rings in batches of 4-5 till they are golden brown. It takes under 2 minutes to do so.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or flavoured mayonnaise.
Note – if you want to add extra flavour to your onion rings then you can also marinate the rings in a mixture of soy sauce and chilli flakes for about half hour. After half hour, remove the rings and pat them completely dry before you follow the recipe.