SABUDANA (SAGO) KHICHDI
This delectable savory preparation that is a staple for Indian women on a fast makes for a delicious dish. The original recipe for this comes from my mother Nirmala Singh. I have added a few ingredients to tweak it a bit.
- 2 cups sago (sabudana), soaked overnight so it is fluffed up
- ¾ cup roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
- 2-3 medium sized potatoes, boiled and chopped into cubes
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ inch piece of ginger, chopped fine
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 5-6 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 2 dried red chillies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp refined oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix the sago and ground peanuts and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add cumin seeds. Once they start to sputter add ginger, curry leaves, green and red chillies, peppercorns, cloves. Stir for 30 seconds. Then, add the potatoes and let them brown a bit (approx for 5-8 minutes).
- Add the sago and peanut mixture. Season with red chilli powder, salt, pepper powder, lemon juice and sugar. Mix well and add the coriander leaves.
- Serve hot