Looking for a filling veggie snack option for the kids? Or looking for something for a Sunday brunch? Try this…
STUFFED POTATOES AU GRATIN
- 4 potatoes, boiled with the skins
- 5 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup mixed peppers (chopped) – red, green and yellow
- ¼ cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1 Chinese (orange) carrot, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese (cheddar)
- Salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp refined oil/butter.
- ¼ cup chopped parsley/coriander leaves
- 2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
Note – for the stuffing in the potatoes, you can use just about any vegetable. You can use boiled sprouts, mushrooms, green or black olives, chopped broccoli, etc
- Pre heat oven to 200 deg C.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the centre (I prefer not to use the potatoes for the filling as the outer part is already being used. Instead I save the inside part for use later)
- Smear 1 tsp of oil in your palms and rub them on the exterior of the potatoes. This helps them to become crisp in the oven.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the garlic. Sautee for half a minute (do not let it brown) and then add the onions, carrots and peppers. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-8 minutes, till it softens. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- In a bowl combine the cheese, chopped coriander, mixed herbs, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the potato shells with the veggie mixture and top with the cheese mixture. Press down a bit to fill the shells completely.
- Bake at 200 deg C for about 25 minutes or till done.
- Serve hot. I prefer to serve it with a mayonnaise sauce.
- Mayonnaise sauce – 3 tbsp of burger mayo (mayo + tomato ketchup), 1 tsp finely chopped mint, ¼ tsp coarsely ground pepper, ¼ tsp chilli flakes, ¼ tsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp finely chopped coriander leaves.