The one thing that has always been a savior on days when I am bone weary is a nice warm tossed salad. This Tofu salad is no different. It is packed with protein but the best part is that this recipe is so versatile that you can use almost any veggie and even bread croutons (toasted and not fried).
- 200 grams tofu (soy paneer)
- 1/4th of a green, red and yellow pepper (each), chopped into one inch pieces
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage (you can also use regular green cabbage)
- 1 carrot, chopped lengthwise
- 2 green onions (slice the white part fine and cur the green stalks into one inch pieces)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 tsp olive oil (or refined oil)
Note – you can also add broccoli, beans, mushrooms, toasted bread croutons, roasted pumpkin etc. In fact, anything and everything works. You can also add toasted walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds or pine nuts. They taste heavenly. This salad can also be served with a side of couscous.
- In a non stick pan heat 1 tsp of the oil and add the soy chunks. Sautee them till they are a bit golden. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil. Add the carrots and peppers and sauté till they soften a bit. Then add the white onions and cabbage. Sautee for a further 2-3 minutes till they too soften.
- Add the soy sauce, tofu, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Lastly, sprinkle the mixed herbs.
- Serve hot.