Hot summer evenings are perfect for cold salads, wouldn’t you say so?
When fresh produce is readily available, I prefer to make fresh salads with plenty of greens. They not just soothe the eye but also titillate the palate. And yes, they add the much needed relief to meat dishes.
My arugula leaves salad is one such recipe. It is fast, fresh and super simple to make. The best part is that you can make the dressing extra and store it in the fridge for later. It can be used for other fresh green salads. It is a basic vinaigrette recipe. I just prefer to use lemon juice instead of vinegar.
Arugula leaves are tender so they keep well in the fridge for about 2-3 days before they start to go limp. I advise making this salad when they are crisp. With the apples, they add a crunch that is soooooo satisfying.
ARUGULA AND APPLE SALAD
For the salad
- 1 bunch arugula leaves, washed and patted dry
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced (no need to peel)
- 1 red apple, thinly sliced (no need to peel)
- 2 tbsp seeds (pumpkin or watermelon. Toasted pine or walnuts also taste yummy)
- 1 small sized red onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup green grapes (optional. I used them because I love grapes)
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup/honey
- Salt and pepper to season (you’ll need a couple of pinches of both, not more)
Note – Arugula leaves have a slightly bitter taste so a sweet dressing is needed to counter act that. For this recipe you can also use a combination of arugula and rocket leaves or arugula and baby spinach leaves.
- Put all ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk them together. A mason jar or a capped bottle is ideal for this as you can shake it vigorously to combine the ingredients.
- In a large salad bowl combine the arugula leaves (no need to cut them), apples, grapes and onion and add the dressing.
- Mix well till all ingredients are combined and then add the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Throw in the seeds or nuts.
- Serve cold as a side dish to the meat course or with some stuffed buns. get you stuffed bun recipe here – https://onsonalstable.com/haute-stuffed-buns/
- Or you can eat it just like that. Tastes yummy.